the living art of storytelling in Massachusetts

massmouth/LANES Contest ! NY to BOSTON and BOSTON to NY SEPT/OCT 2008

(a pdf of this is attached below)
Here is your chance to perform at 2 legendary venues in New York and Boston in
A Fanciful New STORY Exchange Idea Monday, September 15, 2008, 8:00 PM
“Big Apple” Tellers Bring Their Tales to “Bean Town”
Club Passim, 47 Palmer Street, Cambridge, MA
http://clubpassim.org/directions/
The Tellers: Barbara Aliprantis, Robin Bady, Ken Corsbie, Joy Kelly, Emcee: Bob Reiser
+ massmouth presents: you ! and your alternates
then
Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 6 - 8 PM
“Bean Town” Tellers Bring their Tales to the “Big Apple”

The Cornelia Street Café, 29 Cornelia Street, Greenwich Village, NYC
www.corneliastreet.com

The Tellers: Norah Dooley * Laura Packer PLUS you! the two LANES/Massmouth tellers contest winners:

Here's how you can be one of the two tellers to join Norah and Laura at The Cornelia Street Cafe on October 14th:

Tell us how you would help fill the seats at Club Passim on September 15th to welcome the NY Tellers and in general. Send a 50 word max. proposal of your best, craziest, thought provoking, seat filling ideas and be one of the two tellers going to NYC with Laura and Norah on October 14 to tell at The Cornelia Street Café...the longest running evening storytelling series in NYC, curated by Barbara Aliprantis.

Bosstown to Big Apple contest -
will have 2 winners and 2 alternates who will perform at Club Passim on SEPTEMBER 15th as well in NYC at the Cornelia Street Cafe

The prize for the best innovation in audience building is a slot to tell your tales at Passim and take your tails to NY + win $100 cash!

In 50 words or less send your best, craziest, thought provoking, seat filling idea.

This is an exciting new exchange between StoryLAB at Passim and
Cornelia Street Café, hosted by LANES members from NY,NY and MA.

Part A. Declare that you are a:
* MA resident +
* massmouth.ning member +
* LANES member in good standing

B. Show that you have performed professionally ( cut and paste the category that fits your experience)
1. have been paid more that $350 for one performance
or meet these 2(below)
1.have charged admission over $10 for tix for your performance
and
2. have 2 professional [see above, (i.e that meet the above criteria #1 ) teller's or presenter's recommendations

or, if you have not yet performed professionally but feel you are ready:

1. send a 10 minute CD of your story - (live performance is best) for consideration
2. have 2 professional [see above] teller's or presenter's recommendations

C. My idea to expand audiences for story in BOSTON and NY :
(enter your idea here)

If chosen you will win
* a space on the bill in the Big Apple and Passim
* $100 honorarium and a
* chance to be heard in two legendary clubs in BOSTON and NY

N.B. Winners must buy 5 tix to the
NY to BOSTON show at Passim on SEPT 15th
Fill those seats, sell those tix and your cost = $0.
Tix to StoryLAB are $10 each.
Winners and two alternates will be chosen on SEPT 7th
Deadline is SEPT 5th

All winners and alternates will perform in a special massmouth event at Passim on September 15th. (Alternates do not need buy 5 tix) $ 100 honorarium will be awarded after performance on OCT 14th.

Send your email to:
Norah Dooley at: Doochild6@gmail.com,
Judges : Norah Dooley and Laura Packer and 3rd judge TBA

What city will be next ?
Lets conspire! Cross state lines! And cause some riotous fun.
PS> Knowing the typist - (Norah) I expect there are some mistakes or typos -please ask if anything is unclear.

Views: 51

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Norah (and Laura) -

THis is a great Idea. I love it. I will put on my best thinking cap and try to come up with some great storytelling audience building ideas! Looking forward to it!
Great Idea
Let me know how things go
I would like to pitch the idea at our August MOOSE meeting.
Maine to Boston in the fewtcha?

Where is the prize money coming from? Is LANES sponsoring this?

I think sponsers would be willing to encourage audience building especially our venues.

Thanks Norah and Laura for starting this.

Willey and Learnin' Vernon
I am raising the funds me'self - LANES is benefiting but not supporting,yet.
Thanks for your enthusiasm - I was hoping this idea might catch on.
Norah
HOW AWESOME IS THIS?!?!?!?! Wow, what a great idea, my brain is already teeming with notions. And Vernon is absolutely right, if we can do an "Exchange" with New York, why not with Maine? And Rhode Island? and Connecticut? and, and, and

I know I sound like Howard Dean but dontcha feel the excitement????
Doria
I am now working on(Norah knows) one *(exchange)with the folks at Riverway Festival(Albany) same exchange but hell ya Vernon and Doria, What about Maine and Rhode Island ? money has been an issue with Albany where and how to pay these tellers and from what fund(s) we can raise. Workin on that too. But think it is strange not more people have jumped on your proposal Norah. DId anyone e-mail you more after the second time you put it out? I mean people are always looking for performance places. No? Andrea

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FIRST PRIZE AT GRAND SLAM STORY SLAM

Grand Prize for South Shore Grand Slam Story Slam generously donated by Nicolette Heavey and Stories In The Streets (A Maine Get Away)

https://www.facebook.com/StoriesInTheStreets

Stories in the Streets in an outreach literacy program that focuses on families in at-risk areas and fosters community engagement in storytelling by: 1) Creating opportunities for public storytelling wherever families gather — a farmer’s market, laundromat, or food line; and, 2) Offering storytelling workshops that raise family engagement in literacy, cultural awareness and community understanding.  The program is currently active in Lawrence, Brockton and Randolph.

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

What is a story slam? Get the FAQs! 9 Replies

Started by Norah Dooley in Uncategorized. Last reply by Tamara Safford Feb 4, 2014.

Press Clippings 2012-2013 - Links and as a Pdf

Started by Norah Dooley in Sample Title Jun 26, 2013.

Storytelling is front page news in Boston...12/22/12 2 Replies

Started by Norah Dooley in Sample Title. Last reply by Brendyn Schneider Dec 23, 2012.

Grand Slam Story Slam Fuller Craft Museum May 7th

The South Shore story Slams presents The GRAND SLAM STORY SLAM MAY 5TH @The Company Theater 6:30PM the winners of Doyles and SS Story Slam Season compete for Maine Getaway valued at  $1,000. Get your tickets before they are gone $25.00 in advance $20.00 members at door $30.00 non members 

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by andrea lovett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service