mass-story.com

the living art of storytelling in Massachusetts

Money - our AUG f2f 5 minute topic challenge - post thoughts and teasers here

here is a short story about money:

Generous lawyer
A local United Way office realized that the organization had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute.

"Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"

The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"

Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbled, "Um ... no."

The lawyer interrupts, "or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"

The stricken United Way rep began to stammer out an apology, but was interrupted again.

"or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"

The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."

On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again, "So if I don't give any money to them, why should I give any to you?"

Views: 48

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Norah
Thats like the sucessful taylor besiged by his rabbi to give to God.

The taylor took his money and recipts hurled them high in the air shouting
"there Rabbi, let God keep what he wants and return the rest to me!"

Thats the bones of it, put some meat on that tale and you got yourself a money story
Learnin' Vernon
Money , money, money getting my story together for fives mins. I might even make five mins with some change!
On August 24, 1967, Abbie Hoffman and a dozen other members of the Youth International Party went to the visitor's gallery of the New York Stock Exchange. They dumped several bags full of $1 and $5 bills down to the pit below. Trading came to a halt as the traders began scrambling to grab the money. The New York Stock Exchange has been closed to visitors ever since.
Here is a Tale from my friend Willey Phinedit (Find-It)
We can not be at your F2F meeting and this video is more than 5mins anyway.
Feel free to strip it down and make it your own under 5min if you wish.

LV & Willey

RSS

FIRST PRIZE AT GRAND SLAM STORY SLAM

Grand Prize for South Shore Grand Slam Story Slam generously donated by Nicolette Heavey and Stories In The Streets (A Maine Get Away)

https://www.facebook.com/StoriesInTheStreets

Stories in the Streets in an outreach literacy program that focuses on families in at-risk areas and fosters community engagement in storytelling by: 1) Creating opportunities for public storytelling wherever families gather — a farmer’s market, laundromat, or food line; and, 2) Offering storytelling workshops that raise family engagement in literacy, cultural awareness and community understanding.  The program is currently active in Lawrence, Brockton and Randolph.

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

What is a story slam? Get the FAQs! 9 Replies

Started by Norah Dooley in Uncategorized. Last reply by Tamara Safford Feb 4, 2014.

Press Clippings 2012-2013 - Links and as a Pdf

Started by Norah Dooley in Sample Title Jun 26, 2013.

Storytelling is front page news in Boston...12/22/12 2 Replies

Started by Norah Dooley in Sample Title. Last reply by Brendyn Schneider Dec 23, 2012.

Grand Slam Story Slam Fuller Craft Museum May 7th

The South Shore story Slams presents The GRAND SLAM STORY SLAM MAY 5TH @The Company Theater 6:30PM the winners of Doyles and SS Story Slam Season compete for Maine Getaway valued at  $1,000. Get your tickets before they are gone $25.00 in advance $20.00 members at door $30.00 non members 

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by andrea lovett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service