I have been asked a number of times about the in's and out's of blogging so I thought I would offer a workshop. I know some say blogging has gone the way of the dinosaur because everyone is all "a twitter" but while they are both useful I look at twitter as an appetizer and blogging as the main course. :)
I am offering a four hour workshop on blogging at my home in Massachusetts. I am 60 minutes south of Boston and 50 minutes east of Providence. The workshop will be a combination of information on blogging and a step by step process on creating your own blog using blogspot.com. A portion of the workshop fee will go to LANES and massmouth as part of their fundraising efforts.
Bring your laptop and leave with a blog up and running. There will also be handouts for you to continue to learn after the day is done. And yes, if you don't have a laptop you can still come and learn.
As of today, my blog stats have passed the 54,000 mark with readers from Thailand, Japan, USA, Australia, Norway, Slovenia, Poland, Canada, France, Ireland, Egypt, Vietnam and beyond. Now while that may not be a lot for some businesses, for a small gal in tiny town I think that is pretty darn good, and you can do it too! Whether your are a performer, teacher or librarian, blogging is another way to publicize your skills, promote your venues and connect with your clients/parents/students.
- Date: November 12, 2011 *Snow date (hey, it could happen) November 19, 2011
- Location: 97 Chipaway Road, East Freetown, MA
- Time: 11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (1/2 break hour for lunch)
- Cost: $65.00 with $15.00 going to LANES $15.00 going to massmouth. And since LANES and massmouth are 501 c3 organizations you can take a $30.00 donation for your taxes. I will provide some munchies and hot/cold drinks.
What you will be responsible for:
- Bringing your laptop
- Having your first blog post of 300-500 words already typed on your computer. "Why?" So I can show you how to transfer it to your blog, pretty it up with a picture or two and hit that oh so satisfying "Publish" button!
- Your brown bag lunch * I have a microwave if you want to warm something up.
- A "can do" attitude!
Participants will be guided in the following:
- Choosing and uploading a template
- Adding and arranging Page Elements
- Searching for public domain pictures to complement the subject
- Uploading pictures from personal computer files
- Moving and arranging pictures within the text
- Embedding URL’s into text
- Changing font and picture size
- Adding color to text
- Constructing, Editing, Previewing, Saving and Publishing a blog post
- Monitoring and answering posted comments
- Uploading blogs to Facebook
- Signing up for Networked Blogs on Facebook
- Adding an RSS feed to the page
- Examining blog statistics
I hope you will join me. Space will be limited. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you are interested or have any questions.